It is our intention to always be clear, open and transparent and we hope that this ethos will be reflected in these terms. If any aspects of the terms are unclear, or if you have suggested improvements, then please contact us using the form that may be found here.
To aid UK businesses and the UK innovation landscape in the field of IoT we have launched an initiative called Things Connected. The aim of this initiative is to form an open and collaborative partnership between industry, academia, government and the other Catapults, united in our goal to provide free and easy access to information as well as to a test and evaluation Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN). LPWANs are fast evolving and a plethora of technologies and network operators exist in the UK today, some examples of which include: LoRa, Sigfox, NBIoT and NWAVE. Our ambition is to act as catalyst for the development of a UK market for LPWAN enabled services and applications, by lowering barriers for technology access, innovation and market access for UK PLC.
The Things Connected platform is one of the entry points into this initiative. The other entry points include the events, meetups and training sessions that will be held in the future . Via this platform you can: learn more about the programme, interact with other participants, learn about the technologies and landscape and connect your LPWAN devices to the network to allow you to experiment with the technology and thus develop and demonstrate your products and services.
The Things Connected platform can be used in three ways:
• An informational tool.
• A way to interact and share experiences with other platform users.
• Access to a LPWAN and tools for test and evaluation purposes.
We strive to be accurate but we are only human. So, if you find that something is wrong then please let us know.
We strive to ensure that all information provided on this site and the associated platform is accurate and up to date. However, this is a fast moving industry and the contents of the site will frequently be subject to change so please do check back in often. If you find something that you are unsure about then please ask. There is a huge community of willing and helpful people out there. Please do carry out your own independent checks of any information to ensure that whatever IoT service or application you are building is outstanding, fit for purpose and error free.
Please use the site responsibly:
• Do not use the site in a manner which adversely affects us or any third party.
• Do not send any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any spam.
• Do not introduce programs or other material which are malicious or technologically harmful.
• Do not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our network, websites or servers.
• Do not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack.
Please pay particular attention to the following important points:
• We reserve the right to withdraw or amend the service that we provide on our site without notice.
• We are not responsible for commentary and other materials posted on our site by third parties.
• We disclaim all liability for reliance on our website for advice.
• Any third party website we link to is outside of our control.
• We (or our licensors) own the intellectual property on this website; you should check the licence associated with the page or material before reusing it.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, we expressly exclude:
• All conditions, warranties and other terms which might otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of equity
• Any liability for any loss or damage of any kind incurred by any user in connection with our site or any websites linked to it and any materials posted on it.
• Any liability for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our site or to your downloading of any material posted on it, or on any website linked to it.
Linking to our site
• You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it/ However, you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
• You must not establish a link from any website that is not owned by you.
• Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
• If you wish to make any use of material on our site otherwise than as set out above please address your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated 28/December/16.
The Things Connected test and evaluation Low Power Wide Area Nerwork (now referred to as the “Network”) is made up of a number of components which include LPWAN gateways, network management platforms, test and debugging tools and a device provisioning interface.
The Network is offered for test, evaluation and demonstration purposes, and therefore it SHALL ONLY be used for: Evaluation, Experimentation, Demonstration, Education and Prototyping.
It SHALL NOT be used for any commercial or charged for products and services. If you do want to offer a commercial solution or move your brilliant and world changing idea from concept to live service then you should contact one of the many commercial LPWAN providers that exist in the UK.
Anyone from a computing or telecoms backgrounds will have heard about “five nines”. If not then you can read more about it here. In other words the applicable service will only be off line for 5.26 minutes in a year. One of our in-house telecom experts recalls a conversation with a major telecoms equipment vendor who said “anyone who offers you five nines doesn’t know what they are taking about”. In other words it is an aspiration that is extraordinarily difficult to offer. So the Things Connected Network DOES NOT offer five nines - 99.999% uptime.
The Things Connected platform and Network are provided to you free of charge. No warranties or guarantees of service are provided. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that your use of this platform nor the Network will be free from error and/or uninterrupted service. We will however always strive to enhance the robustness of the offering but please don’t blame us if the service drops out from time to time. We will however include features on the platform to allow you to check its status.
By signing up to the platform and creating an account you will also be able to provision devices on the Network and therefore the points below are vitally important and you are recommended to read them carefully:
• To be able to connect to our LPWAN networks and test beds you will need to create an account via this platform. You will be required to provide us with certain information: your username, name, a valid email address, contact phone number, password and your intended use of the Network. All of this information must be provided truthfully and no attempt to provide false information or methods to circumvent the sign up process shall be made. If false information is detected we retain the right to disable your account or delete it altogether.
• Your account is a powerful asset; you can connect devices, make comments, download examples and express your views so please keep your username and password safe. You are responsible for all activity on your account. We want you to enjoy and benefit from a great service.
• We will hold your account information securely and never provide it to any third party without your prior permission, unless we are obliged to do so by a court order or to comply with a legal obligation.
• The Things Connected platform automatically generates e-mails as part of its normal operation. these will be sent to your registered e-mail address. We won’t spam you and hope that you value and understand each and every email we send you. If you feel that you are getting too many then let us know.
• You must ensure that the use of any devices that you connect to the Network and the data that they transmit over the Network is legal and not in breach of any UK laws and regulations.
• You must ensure that any devices that are connected to the Network are approved devices and are appropriately CE marked. You are responsible for determining which regulations the devices that you connect should adhere to. If you are planning to sell your device you will have to have it CE marked at some point in any case. More information on CE marking may be found here.
• To use the Network and connect your devices you may need to provide certain device hardware identifiers as well as network and application keys. In some cases we may provide keys to you. We will hold these key safely and securely and you must also keep them safely and not provide them to any other third party.
• Bearing in mind that Things Connected is a test and evaluation network, any data sent from your devices over the network is done so at your own risk.
• We retain the right to monitor device connections and the data passing across our Network and may delete devices and suspend your account if we believe it breaks our terms or may cause complaints from other customers, watchdog bodies, regulations or government departments. We need to do this to ensure that we are compliant to UK regulations and to ensure the stability of the Network.
• The platform and Network has been developed to perform specific tasks and has a number of inbuilt safeguards to protect its overall function. If we detect that you are trying to bypass these safeguards or are deliberately invoking unintended behaviour, then we may choose to suspend your account. Continued misuse of the system may result in termination of your account. This will result in permanent loss of all device details and keys.
• To ensure that the Network runs effectively we will monitor the all aspects of the IP traffic running via the platform as well as all data on the platform, database entries which are created and updated as part of the normal operation of the platform and e-mails send by the platform. We will gather statistics and measurements as well as create log files and backups.
• The monitored information will be treated in confidence. If we find something that is of concern while monitoring the platform or something that might be affecting the performance of the system we may decide to contact you but are under no obligation to do so. If we are required to co-operate with the authorities then we will do but again are under no obligation to inform you.
Via the platform, we will provide an approximate coverage map for each LPWAN technology. Due to the nature of the LPWAN technologies, environmental conditions and device location and speed coverage cannot be guaranteed. This coverage map should be used as an indication only. Coverage may also change from time to time and without notice.
Since the Network is intended for test and evaluation purposes we will allow you to connect a certain number of devices. We retain the right to raise or lower these limits at any time without notice.
If you believe that these limits will not meet your needs then please do contact us and we can review your requirements and possibly increase these limits on a case by case basis for a limited period of time.
When you have signed into the site you will be able to contribute to various forums and interact with other users. This is what brings the platform to life and allows it to be most effective. As such we would like you to abide by the following rules:
• You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty (this means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty).
• We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted, contributed or uploaded by you to the platform constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
• We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any content posted by you or any other user of the Services.
• We have the right to remove any posting you make on the platform if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out above.
• The views expressed by other users of the Services do not represent our views or values.
Our forum provides a civilized place for public discussion. Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.
These are not hard and fast rules, merely aids to the human judgment of our community. Use these guidelines to keep this a clean, well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.
Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree
You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:
• Ad hominem attacks.
• Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
• Knee-jerk contradiction.
Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.
If You See a Problem, Flag It
Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.
When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.
In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts in any way; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.
Always Be Civil
Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:
• Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
• Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
• Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
• Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.
These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.
This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.
Post Only Your Own Stuff
You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.
• The Services available on the Platform and Network are provided on an “as is” basis. As such, to the extent permitted by law, no representations, conditions, warranties or other terms of any kind are given in respect of the Services, and all statutory (or implied) warranties and conditions are excluded to the fullest extent possible.
• We will not be liable to any user for any loss or damage (whether direct or indirect), whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
i. use of, or inability to use, the Services; or
ii. use of or reliance on any content displayed on the platform/site.
• You agree not to use our Services for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption or loss of business opportunity.
• We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of the Services or to your downloading of any content on the Site or Application, or on any website linked to the Site or Application.
• We assume no responsibility for the content of websites linked on the platform. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by us of those linked websites. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
If you wish to send a comment or enquiry to us please use the form that may be found here. Note that it may not always be possible for us to provide the information requested ourselves.